Wednesday, November 11, 2009

On holiday


L woke me up this morning to announce that banks are closed today. L is five. Somehow, this important fact is of pressing importance. She asked me if there were holidays when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. I explained that there were no holidays because dinosaurs didn't have days of the week or months. In fact, they didn't keep track of time. They were as unaffected by bank holidays as a five-year-old is today.

Why do we keep track of time? If I remember my Daniel Boorstin correctly, it's to guide our productivity and to give us all the illusion of accomplishment even when the task at hand is not quite finished. That certainly describes the way I'm spending my Veteran's Day: grading an infinite pile of notebook paper reminiscent of this Ig Nobel scientific experiment.

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Nice to have you back, even if it is for a short while.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Stormmaster said...

I was sitting here five minutes now, staring at the words in this post and trying to come up with something clever to say; but maybe it's to late and watching the clock turn 3am in another five minutes in not going to help my productivity in any way tomorrow :-)

So I leave it at that and just send my best wishes to you and your family.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home