Sunday, June 07, 2009

No Exit

Hell is not other people, it is needing other people. Take the extreme case. I can't imagine the horror of being trapped in my own body without being able to control my own physical movements, make my own decisions, or communicate unaided. If it is true that our greatest strength can be our greatest weakness, that is certainly the truth with cooperation.

My husband has been playing the video game Spore. He pointed out that my 5-year-old logic of herbivores=good and carnivores=bad is flawed in more ways than one. Carnivores are apparently much more cooperative animals than herbivores. Huh. The cynic in me says that relying so much on others justifies the need to kill other sentient creatures now and then.

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

You're not turning veggie are you?

3:19 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I just might. :)

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home