Saturday, May 09, 2009

Think blue


Today I learned that a shutout is not just a big win but a win that doesn't allow any scoring. It wasn't a no-hitter today, but the Dodgers game was definitely a shutout.

When I told my students last week about planning to see the game, they wisely suggested we avoid sitting next to drunk people. Then one offered to loan me his jersey. Dodgers fans are a special glimpse into LA culture, not necessarily the best glimpse. Nonetheless, the camaraderie of strangers wearing blue and singing "Take me out to the ball game" has its appeal.

Halfway through the fifth inning, my daughter suggested that we go do something fun. Guess she's not a baseball fan. I've never been a huge fan of the pacing in baseball, but this game moved along pretty quickly. Sweltering under the sun and leaning back into the bleachers, I realized that I shouldn't think about it as Sport, the way I actively participated in college sports. This was Recreation, like heading to the beach except with peanuts, dancing, and a big screen tv.

In the parking lot, we ran into a sophomore in one of my classes. I'm starting to feel like a Dodgers fan.

3 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I saw a game at Fenway may years ago, loved every second and you're right, it is an event.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Around the league, Dodger fans are notorious for leaving even the closest games before they're over to beat traffic. Your daughter's just getting the jump on them.

Yeharr

8:13 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Well, LA traffic is pretty nasty. Old habits die hard.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home