Sunday, June 25, 2006

weeds


What exactly defines a weed? The things that are growing in my yard more rapidly than the things that aren't? If only the "aggressive ground cover" was half as thriving. Certainly weeds aren't the ugly plants because some have beautiful purple blossoms. And it's not just the stuff lying close to the ground. We are leaving our backyard to its natural desert state for just a few more weeks. In one corner is a weed that must be taller than my daughter. I shudder to think how deep its roots must be. At some point I'll post a photo.

p.s. This is not a metaphor. I really am talking about plants.

6 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

According to Webster: a plant that is not valued where it is growing and is usually of vigorous growth; especially : one that tends to overgrow or choke out more desirable plants.

I remember a line from a theme song years ago. I don't remember which show it was. It ran under the end credits, and most of the lyrics were drowned out by a VO promoting other shows on the channel. Whatever the song was, this was the last line:

"A weed is just a flower out of place."

I remember thinking this was a relatively deep observation--far deeper than the silly seventies sitcom it was attatched to deserved.

Yeharr

9:29 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

My dad used to say that a weed is anything that grows faster than grass.

7:20 AM  
Blogger mal said...

one mans weed is another mans salad. Your question reminds me a bit of why I have dandelions in the lawn every year *L*

BTW,,,new blog site is http://malsmumblings.blogspot.com

8:25 AM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

We've had so much rain that it's been difficult to keep up with the yard. I took a picture the other day before I cut the grass because it looked like a pasture complete with wild flowers. Then I thought, oh no that's not pretty flowers, those are weeds! And I cut them with great speed on the riding lawn mower...

Nothing but rain here. What a drag!

Hope you are resting up for the big event!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Are you sure you're not talking street jive?

2:16 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Daniel, for reals.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home