Friday, June 09, 2006

on ballet


I believe in the importance of learning about the world around me. As a kid I didn't get why my parents were interested in the news every night, but as an adult I see how a man dying in Iraq can affect my country and my life.

I even believe in the importance of "soft" news--why it's good to hear stories about novels or art for the sake of edification. But sitting in traffic the other day and listening to a three-minute segment about the inner squabbles in the Bolshoi Ballet, I felt my mind wander. Maybe it would be an ok story at 9:10 p.m., but not at 4:48.

However, when the story of two men reconstructing the Bellagio fountains with Diet Coke and Mentos came on, I didn't bother questioning its newsworthiness (clearly there is none). Melissa Block interviewed the choreographers in white lab coats and goggles, and I just enjoyed making the leap over the fine line between news and entertainment.

7 Comments:

Blogger Old Man Rich said...

The news used to be so much better. Serious stories presented by articulate people delivered deadpan from behind a big desk. And always with an 'And finally' story. How tiddles the cat managed to travel 300 miles on public transport to go back to the place its owners used to live, or someone breaking the world record for most smarties in a nostril. Still delivered in serious news reader style.
Now the news readers try to be chatty & funny. And the stories are either grim or about some B list celebrity.

Mind you. The summers were hotter, the winters colder. Food tasted better. People were polite and there was no crime. Oh god I'm getting old.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Mad Housewife said...

I'm baaaaaak!!!!! (Please note new URL in my blog URL)

7:51 AM  
Blogger James Brush said...

<hopeless idealism>The news is supposed to keep citizens aware of what goes on in their country, to be a check on government.</hopeless idealism> The most depressing news moments are the celebrity bits that discuss who's marrying, divorcing or getting in trouble. That's when I'm reminded how good and screwed we really are.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Jessica,
I had no idea that you had a blog----awesome. We miss you guys and hope all is well in CA!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

And yet, I'm still a news junkie.

Welcome back, Leslie, and welcome for the first time, Kari. All is well here. :)

6:43 AM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Every now and then everybody needs some light news. Too much seriousness is a drag.

8:00 AM  
Blogger RC said...

Melissa Block...she says her name so seriously too.

Sometimes NPR brings the goods and some good longer-form journalism, otherwise you just want to fast forward.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home