Saturday, August 06, 2005

white


I'm so out of the loop. I thought I had to be worried about wearing too much red or blue, but apparently it's the plain white t-shirt that shows gang-affiliation these days.

I do stick out as a very white person. Not just Caucasian, but pale to boot. Somehow I got on the subject of race, and I was trying to think if any of my students were white. I honestly can't say. I don't think so.

Quite frankly, race bothered me a lot more when I started teaching in Minnesota. I remember on my first day, looking around the district-wide meeting of faculty and staff, and seeing only white faces. Every single teacher and every single secretary and every single cafeteria worker ... was white. That made me uncomfortable. Those kind of demographics just don't happen by accident.

3 Comments:

Blogger Old Man Rich said...

I like the fact that your not sure what colour your kids are. Actually, I really really like it a lot.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I, too, am--er--pigmentally challenged. I have two skin colors:
ghost white and lobster red. I go outsite, I get lobster red. Five to seven days later, the lobster peels its shell to reveal milky white flesh underneath.

I send my kids to a very racially diverse school. It's quite interesting to hear them talk about skin color. It only comes up when describing what their friends look like. It means nothing more or less to them than eye color or height.

Yeharr

7:52 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

outside.

not outsite.

hate misspelling.

I sit in box.
I feel shame.

Yeharr

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home