Tuesday, July 26, 2005

scissors

It's my first week at a new school. Students will arrive Monday, which leaves three paid days for planning curriculum, creating arbitrary rules that I will strictly enforce, pretending to care about what color my bulletin boards are, and attending lots and lots of meetings.

Yesterday I found out what grade I'm teaching. Today I got a key for my classroom. I'm making good progress.

My class (a reading class, mind you) includes half an empty bookshelf and a teacher's desk. I scoured the room to discover my entire set of school supplies: a single pair of scissors. The rounded kind from elementary school. No books. No paper. No pencils. Not even a crayon in sight.

This might take a bit of creativity.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Any time.

8:21 PM  
Blogger That Guy said...

I was originally an education major. I switched career paths because I do not have the kind of courage necessary to take on a challenge like the one you are embarking on. Kudos to you.

What grade are you teaching? Why are you so underfunded? Whats the biggest palindrome you know (I know one with 7 letters).

Mind if I link up to you?

11:14 PM  
Blogger Old Man Rich said...

May I suggest that day 1 you take your students shoplifting at a stationers?
Good luck.

2:10 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

If you got a rock and a paper, you could have a hell of a game!

Perhaps you could call your class: Things you shouldn't run with!

...that's all I got for now.

Yeharr

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

A little begging and borrowing later, I've got supplies, shelves, and books.

ALS: 8th grade, wish me luck. I actually didn't major in education but in philosophy, oddly enough. I did get an M.Ed. later, though. The smallest palindrome I know is "I"; if that doesn't count it's "aa."

Rich: I'm afriad my students really could teach me how to shoplift.

BP: Want to be a guest speaker? You're always welcome, but I'd have to draw the line at looting and pillaging.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home