Monday, July 25, 2005

the craft

I caught the tail end of Jon Stewart's interview on Fresh Air last week. He was asked why stand-up comedy is so much more difficult than making his friends laugh. Stewart responded simply: humor is a craft.

From the audience side of entertainment, it's easy to forget how many hours go into editing that novel, setting up that joke, or creating that character in a movie.

I'm hoping to catching a glimpse of one such process next weekend. Philip Morton of ScreenwriterBones is hosting a workshop at a local cafe. At best, I'll get a chance to meet some interesting people, hear a few writing strategies, and come away a little more educated. At worst, it's a nice Saturday drive.

3 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Phil did stand up for a while. So did I. Neither of us were very successful at it. I think I was a little more interested in it as a career than he was, but only a little. I think he used it more as a barometer than anything else. Whenever he would wonder if he should talk to a girl or put himself out in some way, he'd say: "Fuck it--I've done standup. Nothing's harder."

Yeharr

8:25 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Anyone who's earned a living with his/her creative talent has my respect.

On second that, only if that creativity doesn't involve being a politician....

9:03 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

thought, not that

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home