Saturday, October 07, 2006

apple butter


It's fall again, and time for talk of apples and orchards (soon it will be pumpkins and graveyards). A small town nearby is having their annual apple butter festival/fundraiser. I'm contributing an apple cake--recipe from my grandma Dorothy.

When you cook rarely enough, it's quite a trip down memory lane. I remember my grandma peeling the apples in one long curly piece while singing "round and round the mulberry bush." I tried to do the same for L, but it came out in 3 or 4 pieces at a time and I forgot all the words except "pop! goes the weasel." We had fun anyway.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That cake looks so damn purty...

10:20 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

"Round and round the mulberry bush
The monkey chased the weasel
The monkey stopped to pull up his socks
Pop! Goes the weasel!"

My kids prefer my version:
"Round and round the mulberry bush
The monkey chased the weasel
The weasel hid in the microwave..."

Well, you get the idea.

We just went out to an orchard today. The kids love to pick apples. Eleven pounds of Golden Delicious, and twelve pounds of twenty-ounce apples are now in my kitchen.

Any chance you could email me Grandma Dorothy's recipe?

Yeharr

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love apple butter but have never made it. That cake looks yummy! Can you send me the recipe too? Or is it a secret...

3:45 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

That cake looks so good!! This is my favorite time of year...

5:46 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Recipe forthcoming...

8:50 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

my mom makes an awesome kosher apple cake. yum. this year she tried it with pears. not sure about this one, but it wasn't bad!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home