Monday, October 02, 2006

short shorts


The stories, not the fashion.

What's your favorite? I could use a good quick read.

In high school I went through a Raymond Carver phase and found a bunch of old recordings of him. Good stuff. Recently, I've been taken with the supper short Sudden Fiction International anthology.

A few stories I don't mind reading a dozen times:
"Blackberries" by Leslie Norris
"The Elephant" by Slawomir Mrozek
most anything by Alice Munro
and of course classics like "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson

4 Comments:

Blogger United We Lay said...

A collection - Dubliners by James Joyce

9:03 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

It's not in print, but I highly reccomend The Collected Short Stories by Roald Dahl. You could probablyThese ain't children's stories, although they are pretty fantastic.

I believe you would like it.

Yeharr

11:36 AM  
Blogger James Brush said...

My favorite: "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

2:54 PM  
Blogger Guy Wonders said...

I like Raymond Carver, too.

Annie Proulx's short stories are good. I like them better than her novels.

I'm not sure if it's available in the US, but Alistair MacLeod's book of short stories (The Last Salt Gift of Blood) is worth a read, as well. . . .

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home