Tuesday, September 26, 2006

combinatorics

How many ways are there for a teacher to obtain some (nonempty) subset of college classes that will lead to an intellectually stimulating and fulfilling career?

I'm toying with the idea of becoming an actuary. Natural progression from middle school English teacher, isn't it? There's still a lot more I'd like to learn about the profession, questions I have about the job prospects for someone switching careers, planning to account for background coursework and actuarial test prep, not to mention the seven more problems of homework due tomorrow.

At worst, I'll get certified to teach math and learn the recurrence relation to solve the Tower of Hanoi.

3 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

You lost me at 'How many'

yeharr

9:31 AM  
Blogger Stormmaster said...

I had to look up "actuary" in a dictionary - the literal German translation seems to be something like "insurance expert/mathematician". If it's that what you intend to do I imagine it to be an interesting but also strange job to be calculating-with-risk-of-death-or-injury.

If not: ignore this comment :-)

Second thought: are there insurances against something good happening to you?

12:42 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Yep. Nope.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home