Monday, May 15, 2006

mind-numbing

I stumbled into the teacher's lounge this morning to hear this conversation between a social studies (SST) and a language arts teacher (LAT)* that went something like this:

LAT: "How is Fox news biased?"
SST: "Are you kidding? They don't tell the news in an objective manner. You know what 'objective' means, right?" (no sarcasm in his voice)
LAT: "Yeah, I know what 'objective' means." (no sense of insult)
SST: "Well, look at all their stories on Bush."
LAT: "But how does that mean they are right-wing?"

... [successfully tuned out for the next few lines] ...

SST: "...network evening news."
LAT: "They're all liberal. They never spend more than 30 seconds to tell the story. They never tell more than one side to the story."
SST: "They don't have time."
LAT: "Yeah, but ..."


Here's what bugs me: This should be the kind of conversation you hear among thirteen-year-olds, not their thirty-year-old teachers. I would hope that in 17 years of education and life, people might even argue about the same topic but with a bit more sophistication, justification, and, well, a point. It may as well have been an argument about whose dad can beat up the other's.

Am I being too harsh?

*It really shouldn't matter what disciplines they teach with regard to who is saying what. Except that it's a bit of an embarrassment to both disciplines.

7 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

More teachers like you.

Less teachers like them.

Yeharr

7:31 PM  
Blogger Old Man Rich said...

be glad they knew what objective meant.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

I agree it sounds like a 13 yr. old's argument. Unfortunately I've also heard many similar comments out of my mother's mouth, and she's 70! She has always been republican and I can understand for the life of me why she won't look at the issues affecting her, rather than maintaining her republican label.

You're not being too harsh. I can't believe the SST said, "They don't have time." If it's really important news, there is always time.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Unfortunately, I hear the same conversations happening between the PhDs I work with.

8:27 AM  
Blogger James Brush said...

I think we've all heard these kinds of arguments. Regardless of education, I think many people are afraid to appear to be know-it-alls so they unintentionally and probably out of habit dumb everything down. But you're right, it is quite sad that teachers and PhDs seem to feel that way too.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

The debasement of ideas.

7:55 AM  
Blogger mal said...

no you are not being harsh.....

another example of why parents should be active in their childrens education

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home