Saturday, March 11, 2006

cold day


A war criminal dies and it snows in Southern California.

Another bitter piece of news from today is the discovery of Tom Fox's slain and tortured body. I'll spare my reaction because I think we all feel the same way.

Yet I want to ask: Can you fathom believing so strongly in a cause that you are willing to risk your life?

I can't. I try, but the cynicism in me creeps out, and I question how a half-dozen people can make enough difference with their physical presence to try to influence this monstrosity of a war. I can understand being outraged by injustice. I understand wanting to make a difference and to do something important and meaningful. I think I can even fathom bravery and courage and risking your life. But I can't wrap my mind around why Christians and other advocates of peace put their lives in such jeopardy to fly to a wartorn country like Iraq or Sudan in the hopes of what--making a statement? providing someone with solace or hope? offering your labor to rebuild a country that is falling apart?

Shortly before his kidnapping, Fox wrote these words to explain why he and the Christian Peacemaker Teams were in Iraq. I think he deserves the last word: "We are here to root out all aspects of dehumanization that exists within us. We are here to stand with those being dehumanized by oppressors and stand firm against that dehumanization," he wrote.

2 Comments:

Blogger mal said...

As pointless as Fox's death is and whether I believe in his methods or not, every cause has some one who stood up first and said "we need change". I can only hope he did not die in vain, but fear that he did.

BTW, my parents remembered it snowing in lowland Orange County in 1948 and growing up, we used to see snow periodically in the foothills above 1000 feet. That pic looks like it is in the High Desert around Joshua Tree. We used to camp there in the winter and snow was common

3:15 PM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

I would think a Christian would only piss off the radicals there. I'm sure they provide service to some Iraqis, but they also stand out as a huge target.

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home