Monday, February 20, 2006

destroying nations


I spent President's Day losing my first game of Axis and Allies. I don't really get all the interest in WWII games. Whatever it is, I think it's linked (at least in principle) to the success behind the Civilization games.

Maybe people get into the alternative history or maybe it's the thrill of pseudo-world domination. After trying to ferry all my silly little plastic men (and women, too, in my world) around the islands of Japan on transports that never seemed to be in the right place at the right time, I'm inclined to believe that it's just a really complex game of Chinese checkers.

4 Comments:

Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

We just arrived in FL yesterday and my mom gave my daughter a chinese checkers game. I think it's on the agenda after swimming...

5:23 AM  
Blogger James Brush said...

I enjoy Galactic Civilizations. I mean, if I'm going to go out a-conquerin' I'm going for the whole galaxy!

3:43 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

I like Civilization. We had school but I had the flu, so I was home. I'm going to start spraying my boys down with Lysol when they walk in the door.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

My interest in world-domination games began and ended with Risk.

Whenever I played, invariably within two or three rolls I would end up with nothing but a few small armies on Kamchatka. I was always the first one out of the game. Even the French would line up to play me.

Kamchatka!

Yeharr

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home