Sunday, February 12, 2006

science projects

Last week science projects were due. I first learned that "every student at this school MUST complete a science project" back in December. I feared the worst. These are people who never complete even the simplest homework, forget to bring a pencil to school, and are often gone 2 days a week (some I haven't seen in nearly a month).

But I conned myself into believing they could do it. We did as much in class as we possibly could. I gave them lots of time on the aging computers to type up their problems, hypotheses, even bar graphs on PowerPoint. I bought them all the infamous tri-fold posterboards. And somehow, every student ended up coming out ok. It's nice to have students who exceed your expectations every now and then.

The top project was the experiment on which type of bread molds faster. The student did a phenomenal job displaying everything, researching the differences between types of bread, and keeping track of her results. It looked great.

7 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Cool, I always hated science.

2:31 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Good for you. I think it's obvious that it was just as much an accomplishment for you as it was for them!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Old Man Rich said...

Congratulations.
It always surprises me, but if you expect the best of people most of them don't let you down.
The ones who do we call politicians...

1:55 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

It seems my 9-year-old was doing that exact same experiment in the bottom of his bookbag....

Yeharr

4:33 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

we did an experiment like that. i actually won 3rd place for best penicillin.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Couldn't agree with you guys more. That gives me one more reason to admire you, Colleen.

BP, I was once listening to Ira Flatow on Science Fridays who was adamant that letting kids put pop-tarts in the VCR is an important part of human development. I agree in principle, but I'm not sure I'd display the backpack-experiment on the fridge. :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Sounds like you gave them the help and encouragement they needed!

My daughter did a mold project for science fair in 4th grade. It was pretty nasty. She was excited to "gross out" her friends.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home