Monday, January 02, 2006

4


There's something schlocky about tags, but maybe that's the appeal?

Four jobs you’ve had in your life: carwash kid, bookstore cashier, copyeditor, sous chef (for my better half)

Four movies you could watch over and over: Smoke Signals, Ghost Dog, No Man's Land, Curse of the Jade Scorpion

Four places you’ve lived: Columbia, Mo; Minneapolis, Mn; New Brighton, Mn; Redlands, Ca

Four TV shows you love to watch: Like is a better word than love--CSI, Simpsons, Postcards from Buster. Only three, I know.

Four places you’ve been on vacation: Bay of Fundy, Monterey, Monemvasia, Branson

Four websites you visit daily: Gmail, LA Times, CA state education standards, USGS (everytime our neighbor slams a door)

Four of your comfort foods: strawberry & gorgonzola salad on romaine, making my grandma's onion bread (the kneading, the rolling, the braiding), brats with fried onions and my husband's saurkraut, pad thai

Four places you’d rather be: my new-home-to-be, rowing on the Mississippi under the railroad bridge just past 94, Stell's, in a bigger classroom

Four albums you can’t live without: This is my biggest character flaw--I'm not a music person. I own only a handful of CDs. Literally, you can hold them all in one hand.

Four books that changed your life: Because books outrank music, places, and food in my life, I added this one. A Wrinkle in Time (the first novel I ever read), Gravity's Rainbow (the book that introduced me to the most amazing people), Mates (I took every logic class that was offered in college), and The Baron in the Trees (simply a good book).

9 Comments:

Blogger speed_demon said...

This post will definitely be rejected by anybody from Southeast Asia or Asisan countries.

The word "four" symbolizes death in the traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

Guess what, probably very few Chinese people will ever make link to this page, with the exception of me!

*wink*

Happy blogging!

11:20 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Great list. Very revealing.

Thanks!

Yeharr

7:08 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Speed Demon--Thanks for reminding me about the number 4, on a new year, no less. I guess I should be lucky I didn't post this on Jan. 29.

I used to live at a building with the number 1370, in apartment 13, next to a graveyard.

As one friend put it, "What are you going to do when the dead come back to life?" Lock our doors, I suppose. Maybe Zombie-Slayer could have given me some tips.

I found out that the apartment building was infamously called the "blood apartments" by other locals because of a serial killer who used to live there and dumped the bodies in the trash bin. Luckily he moved out before I got there, but the place did have its share of crime--they finally caught the rapist who was breaking into ground floor apartments.

I don't take much stock in superstition, but crappy apartments with orange shag carpet and rampant crime are worth avoiding.

7:16 AM  
Blogger mikster said...

A Wrinkle In Time was one of the 1st books I read also. Have a great new year!

9:12 AM  
Blogger James Brush said...

I almost didn't comment b/c you had 4 and that seemed sort of serendipitous, but then 5 ain't bad either and is the next step on the road to 4 zillion.

Anyway, I notice Smoke Signals. Have you read Reservation Blues?

11:29 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Picked up Reservation Blues but haven't set aside time to read it yet. I read Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Loved the characters so much it was painful. I also got a chance to see Sherman Alexie speak; neat guy.

12:48 PM  
Blogger mal said...

I am curious, all things considered would you rather live in MNbf than So Cal?

10:40 AM  
Blogger Dem Soldier said...

Happy New Year..

Nice list, I too like books, more than music....though I own alot of music CDs..........I'm now reading "Monumental Propaganda" by
Vladimir Voinovich......dunno know if you have read it, but very good so far....

2:29 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

i LOVE ghost dog

LOVE IT!!!

and wrinkle in time is one of my all time favorite books. wow. i think i'll take it with me to philly.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home