Wednesday, December 28, 2005

ultra-cool


This is not my body, just some photo I grabbed off the Internet. It's about the right size and pretty close to the ultrasound images I saw yesterday.

Though we couldn't hear it, the baby's heart was winking away in the images. That confirmation of a live, beating heart was the reason for the ultrasound. The baby was incredibly mobile, flipping, kicking, even punching with his/her tiny, undeveloped limbs. I thought I'd been feeling little flutter kicks, but didn't believe that was possible so early in the pregnancy. The nurse said she had no doubt I was feeling kicks with a baby that active.

I had no idea I'd get to see an ultrasound so soon in the pregnancy. I'm scheduled for a more official ultrasound where they can take measurements and give me a more accurate due date.

For more than you ever wanted to know about ultrasounds, try this link. Or if you've got an hour to view a lecture involving strange pictures of people sitting in tubs of water to make the early images of 2-D scanning, go here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

It's amazing the amount of progress in ultrasound technology in just the eight years since my youngest was in utero.

Are you still required to drink a gallon of water before the scan? It may not have been a full gallon, but STBEW really had to pound several glasses' worth.

My daughter was quite energetic in the womb. I remember watching her sliding around inside her mother. She was a very long baby (still; she's less than half an inch shorter than her average-sized 9-year-old brother), and she would simultaneously push down on her mothers sciatic nerve while punching up on the opposite rib.

So glad I'm not a woman.

Yeharr

8:02 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I think I've had ultrasound on my knee. Or it was something sound. Hmm...
My memory sucks.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

i had no idea you were pregnant! CONGRATS!!! and congrats on a good ultrasound. how exciting!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Colleen, Thanks! I'm still reveling in the novelty of the whole thing, too.

Zombieslayer, It probably was an ultrasound. I think it's cheaper and more revealing than an x-ray. Hmmm, doesn't sound like I'm talking about medical equipment....

BP, I didn't have to do anything special for this one, but they do say you get a more clear picture with a full bladder.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home