Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Could you survive ... ?

These are excerpts from a workshop inspired by Ruby Payne's "Framework for Understanding Poverty." Feel free to critique/add your own.

Check each item that you know how to do.

Could you survive in poverty?


  • ___ I know which sections of town have the best garage sales.
  • ___ I know how to get someone out of jail.
  • ___ I know how to keep my clothes from being stolen at the laundry mat.
  • ___ I know how to live without a checking account or credit card.
  • ___ I know how to apply for and use WIC or food stamps.

    Could you survive in the middle class?


  • ___ I know how to get my children into piano lessons or soccer teams.
  • ___ I know how to order at a nice restaurant.
  • ___ I understand the difference between capital and interest on my home loan.
  • ___ I know how to get a library card.
  • ___ I know how to negotiate when buying a used car.

    Could you survive in wealth?


  • ___ I can read a menu in French, English, and another language.
  • ___ I know who my preferred financial advisor, legal service, designer, domestic-employment service, and hairdresser are.
  • ___ I am on the board of at least two charities.
  • ___ I know the hidden rules of the private Gentleman's Clubs.
  • ___ I know which services I prefer at a day spa.

  • 6 Comments:

    Blogger James Brush said...

    Our school did some workshops based on Ruby Payne last year. I remember this checklist very well. Interestingly, most of us could check boxes in all three categories. Our college years having given us many of the experiences that allowed us to check off the "survive in poverty" boxes. Interesting stuff and lots to think about. It was one of the better series of workshops I've gone to.

    6:24 PM  
    Blogger mal said...

    I certainly would not make it in wealth and I would be marginal in poverty (where do I get food stamps?) so I guess that leaves me in the middle class *sob**sniff*

    9:19 AM  
    Blogger Old Man Rich said...

    Apparently I cannot survive in any category.

    (Although, to date I have survived in two of the three)

    2:15 AM  
    Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

    I don't know how to get someone out of jail other than paying the bail but can do the other poverty ones.

    Middle class? I'm kind of anti-soccer but can do the rest.

    Wealth - I can only do #1. fail at the rest.

    12:45 PM  
    Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

    Povery:
    I know which stores will let you go through their damaged stock before they throw it out

    I know which organizations will let you volunteer in exchange for food or clothing

    I know the schedule of the free mobile clinic.

    Middle Class:
    I know the names and occupations of the owners of every McMansion that is going up in my subdivision
    I know which gas stations have the cheapest gas
    I know the names and reputations of three landscaping services

    Wealth:
    I know whose side to choose in my neighbor's divorce battles.
    I know which private schools to send my kids if I want them to get into government, and which to send them to if I want them to get into business, and which one if I want them to get into medicine.
    I know the names and reputations of at least three private rehab facilities
    I know the names and reputations of at least three private jet services.

    yeharr

    5:29 AM  
    Blogger Jessica said...

    Leaves my head spinning.jj

    7:39 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home