Thursday, July 26, 2007

flying solo

Less than three days ago I was complaining about how hard it is to take two kids to the grocery store. L either wants to squeeze in the crawlspace under the cart, ram it into the nearest shelf, or climb inside and build yogurt towers. J just cries and finds new ways to twist around in the seat while getting his foot stuck in the leg holes and grabbing my hair every time I lean too close.

Naturally, I'm now considering flying cross-country just the three of us. I haven't quite figured out who gets to walk, who gets to be carried, if a stroller will be involved, or if I can just special order one of those zippy little golf carts to transport us around. The good news is that I found an airline that has a direct flight. Despite the predictable tantrums and Cheerios spills, I figure that I can put up with 3 hours and 4 minutes of just about anything. The question is, can the people sitting next to us (and in front of us, behind us, and all the way down the aisle from us)?

7 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Ok, is from Mrs. Z -

Feed them before you go, and make sure they have a nap.

We know Alaskan Airlines does strollers, but not sure about the other ones. You have to notify them ahead of time.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I read your post to Mark, he couldn't agree more, kids and shopping don't mix; as they just wanna' have fun.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Definately bring a stroller and gate check it so you can have it when you arrive. I also find that using a carseat on the plane keeps the little ones in place. (I suppose because they are used to it in the car.) A little play-doh might be good for L. A few small toys, paper & crayons, a small book and snacks will help too. (preferably something new that they haven't seen to keep them interested.)
My kids even "read" the emergency materials in the seatback. Almost anything to keep them distracted.

Good luck!

4:07 AM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

We just drove to Chicago with J. It went okay. I don't have any tips, though. Good luck. I would use a toddler leash (I hate to use that word) on L in the airport when you're checking your luggage, etc... so that she can walk around but not get lost.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Yours might be a little young, but one of the things I did when my kids were 3 and 5 and on a plane was to hve them look at the pictures on the emergency pamphlets, and have them tell me what they meant. I may only keep them interested for a few minutes, but to hear my kids' interpretations of what the pictures meant was hilarious.

yeharr

8:43 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

...and now, as I read the other comments, I see that Notso has already made that suggestion.

Great minds, apparently.

yeharr

8:44 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Excellent ideas. Thanks all.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home