Wednesday, May 30, 2007

allusions

As I teach Greek Mythology Light, I learn that everything my students know about mythology comes from:
  • The Simpsons
  • Brad Pitt
  • Hercules cartoons
  • Saw (or was it Saw II?)
  • Dungeons & Dragons
  • X-Men
  • God of War

    Though I'd never heard of it before, I picked up God of War over Memorial Day weekend and spent the better part of Saturday trying to kill a hydra. The game is gratuitously violent, unsuitable for kids under 17, and terribly fun.

    For that matter, so is Homer. I tried to explain to my students why it's still worth reading when you already know the story. The best I could do was to liken his language to the special effects in a movie. It's not enough to know that the car explodes; you want to see the gritty details of the fire and watch the shards of glass flying through the air. After all, there's a poetry in it. In the fifth reading of the story of the Cyclops, I still caught a new detail: When Polyphemus passes out drunk, he drools little bits of men that he has just eaten.

  • 5 Comments:

    Blogger James Brush said...

    I love the comparison of language to special effects. I'll have to remember that for next year.

    5:28 AM  
    Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

    You is on the same wavelength as me, was about to blog on GOD OF WAR, which is the new nickname I insist Eva-Jane calls me.

    6:17 AM  
    Blogger Jessica said...

    Eva-Jane and the God of War sounds like an excellent show.

    8:13 PM  
    Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

    Indeed, need some fool to commission it!

    5:50 AM  
    Blogger Stormmaster said...

    I had hoped that I could refresh my mythological knowledge - unfortunatelly God of War is not available for PC/Windows .... I fear I have to settle for Homer after all. What was his last name? Simpson?

    8:39 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home