Tuesday, September 05, 2006

For the sport


Great birthday, great 5-day weekend.

Thursday morning we went to Newport Beach where L learned what saltwater tastes like. She liked watching the waves (from afar) and building a modest sand castle. Afterwards we headed to a sports bar & grill for lunch. I counted no less than 23 big screen TVs from where I sat on the astroturf.

Spent the rest of the weekend bumming around, watching cable, and competing to see who could get J to smile the most. L is the reigning champion. Due to all the rain at the US Open, we've been able to watch Agassi's wins and losses multiple times over. I'm especially impressed by the Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis, who showed a lot of heart.

In anticipation of football season, we fired up the grill and ate brats and saurkraut. The culture (or should I say cult) of sport is fascinating to me. Too bad I never went to a Vikings game at the Metrodome when I had the chance. Then again, you don't have to be in a parking lot to enjoy the concept of tailgating. My favorite sports are the ones I've played: soccer, cross country, and rowing. Rowing above all. (I'm a starboard.) I wish everyone could have the chance to go to a regatta.

We weren't the only ones enjoying our Labor Day weekend. My husband's boss went dove hunting. I didn't realize that the symbol of peace was a game bird. Granted they're pretty small, so people hunt them mostly for sport. Does anyone else find that ironic?

Play on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

i'm going to miss agassi

glad you had a good weekend!

5:03 PM  
Blogger mal said...

I have watched football in the Colliseum, Soldier Field, Arrowhead, the Metrodome and Lambeau...no question, an open air stadium in late November is where football is supposed to be played. Not some wuusie dome
*G*

The sibs and I used to hang out on the peninsula at Newport (when we had time). I learned to board and body surf there. I did the open water swim for my advanced card between the Newport and Balboa piers. I have lots of great memories of NB

Sounds like you had a great weekend *S*

12:03 PM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

I hope those doves were wild, unlike the "released" quail that Dick Cheney hunts. I think hunting is okay if the prey is eaten. Otherwise it's just cruel. Doubly cruel if the symbol of peace is killed...

Glad you had a nice weekend!

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home