Friday, June 30, 2006

the hobgoblin of little minds


UWL recently wrote: "I am terrified of raising a child in this environment. I know that's something parents have always dealt with, but I have no idea how to handle this. I don't want my son to grow up with negative feelings about his country, but I don't want him to be patriotic about a nation that is doing little more than harm to its people. How on earth do we reconcile this?"

Nothing wrong with a little inconsistency. It's been said before and will be said again: the highest form of patriotism is honest criticism. As for kids, the world's a mess, true, but you bring a new person into it to celebrate life and hopefully so that you and your children can help make the world a better place.

Speaking of little minds, I visited a Montessori school today. BP says everyone should sit in on a grand jury proceeding, I say go to a preschool. First there's the cute factor. Any kid in pigtails makes me smile. Then there's the curiosity. It's refreshing to see a group of kids genuinely interested in exploring the world around them. Not a bad way to spend the morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger United We Lay said...

I love the Montessori model for preschools! I think they allow children to do what's most important - socialize and learn in an independant environment, while still preparing them for academic life. They foster an incredible love of learning, somethign I hold in the highest esteem.

Thanks for addressing the other comment. I've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the pregnancy, but I don't really know for sure.

Make sure you're dinking enough water. Apparently in the summer we need to drink 2 gallons a day. I learned this when I had to go to the hospital the other night for slight contractions. I've never seen my husband so worried.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home