Sunday, March 19, 2006

escalator




I had an irrational fear of escalators when I was a kid. They sounded like "alligators", and I was afraid of heights. I didn't have many nightmares, but the two I remember involved falling off of escalators or my dad being surrounded by bears.

Today that fear became a little more rational. Stupid me: I thought Laura's a good walker, she can handle an escalator. Going up was fine. Going down was harder. I tried to position myself ahead of her to help brace her with both hands as she stepped on. Except that I forgot that escalators are MOVING stairs. One of my legs went further down the stairs than I intended; next thing I knew I was falling down. A pregnant woman afraid of heights falling down an escalator with a toddler. Great.

The little one managed to steady herself with no problem, I ended up with a scraped and bruised ankle, and the littlest-one-to-be had plenty of padding and no bumps.

Maybe I can cross rapids with a baby strapped to my chest, but escalators still scare me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stormmaster said...

Oh my god. That sounds terrible.

I always thought escalators are a dangerous species: the steps look a little bit like sharp moving teeth that only wait for you to make a move in the wrong direction.

Good to hear that there haven't been any serious injuries.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Old Man Rich said...

On the plus side, you wernt surrounded by bears.

4:11 AM  
Blogger mal said...

not to feel bad,,,,you do see the periodic fools with strollers on escalators....

4:47 AM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Wow, I bet your heart was pumping after that!

At the Boston airport in terminal A, there is a very long (and therefore high) escalator that freaked out my 6 yr. old son last summer. He had been on several excalators before, but he was refusing to get on this one. He finally got on, holding my hand (I was carrying his 2 yr. old brother already)only because he REALLY wanted to go to Florida. He's ok with it now thank goodness...

4:55 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

The escalators for the Moscow subway look like stairways to heaven. Or hell, depending on which way you're going. They are unbelievably long--like a five minute ride.

I have have an irrational fear of lugnuts. My tires are kept on with superglue and duct tape.

Just thought I'd share.

Yeharr

7:13 AM  
Blogger mal said...

BP- please remind me NOT to ride in your car?

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home