Tuesday, November 15, 2005

lowbrow

I have a confession. I think beer commercials are funny. Not all of them. Still, I'm as likely to laugh at a beer commercial as I am likely to be annoyed by an AOL ad. I like those with a base level of humor more than the snob appeal marketing tactics. Anything is better than those car ads that look like bad acid trips.

My husband complains that I pay too much attention to ads. He has perfected a Zen attitude of staring past the commercial. I envy him.

For two years, I watched only about 10 hours of television. I blame it on impatience and laziness more than any attempt at self-improvement. There were two major consequences: 1) I got all my information online, through NPR, and by word of mouth; 2) When I sat down to watch the Super Bowl, I was dizzy from the rapid pacing of images. If anything, it gave me more respect for the complexity of advertising.

3 Comments:

Blogger mal said...

I confess my secret shame, I think they are funny too *S* even the ones the Feminists have blasted (the mud wrestling one comes to mind) are hilarious for their sheer absurdity

1:32 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Funny commercials are great. The problem is, they have a shorter lifespan, and they set a higher standard. If a company makes a funny spot, and the next one's not as funny, then there's a bit of a backlash.

Comedy's risky, man.

My current fav comedy spot was the FedEx spot from SB XXXVIII, with The dancing bear and Burt Reynolds.

Yeharr

9:14 PM  
Blogger Old Man Rich said...

I detest TV adverts. I hate the idea of people coming into my home trying to sell me stuff I'm not interested in. When the adverts come on I invariably turn over or off. So I rarely see a program right through, except on the glorious BBC. The joy of advert free public broadcasting.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home