Wednesday, November 09, 2005

on brevity

My posts tend towards the short side. I think the main reason is that I have very little to say. I prefer reading blogs to writing them. That, and I blame it on teaching journalism. My favorite writing assignment to give comes at the end of a lengthy, feature story project. Now they have to boil down their six to seven page stories into 100 words. It's tough. In my own writing, I try to be merciless and cut out all this explanatory junk that bogs down the sentences.

It's not for everyone. What would happen to Garcia Marquez if he shortened magical-realism into just -ism? Examples closer to home: I love BP's vehement diatribes (hmm, do you mind me calling them diatribes?), Daniel's blog journeys on the way home from eating dinner with Marie and what happened on precisely this corner in precisely this place, Mallory's thorough explanations of engineering, Midwest Hick's timing up to the punchline, and of course Old Man Rich's fond musings about fish and fireworks. Please keep it coming.

4 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Diatribes? I guess I am sorta diatribal. Sure, as long as you're reading them, call them what you want.

I think you sell yourself short, by the way.

Speaking of brevity: You might get a kick out of "Shrinklits." Search for it on Amazon. I've had a copy for 20 years.

Yeharr

9:28 PM  
Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Your posts may be short, but they're mighty! I like 'em. My posts seem to be about whatever I'm thinking about at the time. I guess I could be what one would call a sporadic blogger.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Good stuff BP. And sporadic is good.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Some times I write too much...

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home