Monday, February 09, 2009

Ides of March

I'm teaching Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, which is generally not the most accessible play for sophomores. Somehow, though, it seems oddly fitting for me. I welcomed the changing of the guard in contemporary politics, and it is too easy to make the comparison of charismatic leaders. Moreover, the ides of March does not bode well for me. With deep budget cuts, the district has warned us younger teachers to expect pink slips in the mail on the weekend of March 15.

5 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

You're kidding me? Good grief.

Hope you keep your job, hope the kid's grasp the wonder of Julius Caeser but tell them that Hadrian and Marcus Aurelius were the best ones.

Take care.

1:04 AM  
Blogger James Brush said...

Unbelievable. I thought we needed more teachers. Here's hoping they don't rob your kids of your presence in the classroom.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

In the mail??

That's ridiculous. Those kids need you in the classroom! Hang in there!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Whew, I escaped the axe. Thanks for all the support! It was registered mail, so I hear. I think the principals also broke the news in person--decent of them. My friend, an art teacher with a 4-month old baby, is one of the unlucky ones. She was bumped by someone from an elementary school with more years. Gotta love tenure, and yet, I do. Merit pay is a topic for another post.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Good news, kinda, now will you blog more?

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home