Friday, August 12, 2005

water

Our apartment building had the water turned off all day yesterday. Since we spend most of the day away from home, it was a minor inconvenience. Mostly I use water to shower, use the restroom, wash dishes and clothes, and cook. We buy huge crates of bottled water to drink because we don't trust the city water; a $40 charcoal filter from Target just wasn't cutting it.

As gasoline prices approach the $3.00 mark, I'm pleasantly surprised that our water bill is by far the cheapest natural resource Californians overconsume. Will these prices also increase suddenly, in the manner of California Edison (electricity)? Short term, conservation seems to be the simple solution. We have enough to go around, for now. And it could be worse; I could be living in Waukesha.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I deal with watering the lawn as well. I'd be up for using "reclaimed" water in my sprinklers, but as far as I know you can't do that for residences. I wasn't here during the last big drought, so I'm sure I'll have a rude awakening some day.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hmmm, good question about residential use of reclaimed water. I did a little research and found that non-potable water has no measurable effect on pregnant women or their babies. I'm still looking into regulations on using it, though.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home