Thursday, June 30, 2005

bonesetter's daughter

I want to like Amy Tan. I really do. Any woman who can write five phenomenally successful novels, pen nonfiction books with Maya Angelou and Dave Barry, and play diva with Steven King et al. deserves praise. But her mothers drive me crazy. The fact that the narrator is named Ruth (my own mother's name) is like a double whammy. Remind me not to try reading her again. I'm giving up on The Bonesetter's Daughter and going to the Underworld with Don DeLillo.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

Amy Tan also is the creator of a successful animated children's show.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Argh. I finished it after all, out of spite.

The central story buried under layers of angst-riddled narrative was not bad. But I do agree with one reviewer who said the novel has a trite "Loveboat-ending."

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home